Visit The EDM310 Alumni Blog Amazing! An Alumni Blog! Thanks to Jackie Gorski and all of her co-authors!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

cartoon about sports metaphors
A Learning Opportunity

Most of you apparently did not understand that Tom Johnson’s post Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a metaphor (as is the title of his blog Pencil Integration). But that gives all of us an opportunity to learn. In addition, several of you just skipped the comment on the Johnson part of the assignment. I (or one of the staff using my words) have left a comment on your blog if you skipped the Johnson assignment . An eagle eyed lawyer type in the class, however, has brought to my attention that I did not explicitly say, as I usually do, "post your analysis on your blog". Your grade has not been affected by this miscommunication; we have learned to be more explicit in our directions; and you have an opportunity to learn. So take advantage of this learning opportunity.

First - the Metaphor

The post you read is not written by someone named Tom Johnson. That is a pseudonym for John Spencer who also writes a blog which is assigned in C4T under his real name. The blog post in question is in a blog named Pencil Integration. This alerts you that when he speaks about pencils, he is actually talking about computers or technology in general. If you return to the post, copy it and replace pencil or pencils with computer or computers. Your reactions will be very different.

So Why Did So Many of You Miss the Metaphor?

I don’t know.

Let's start with a few examples. I think almost all of you (if not all of you) understood the very first metaphor you encountered in EDM310: Mr. Winkle Wakes. No one, I don’t think, thought that Mr. Needleman’s video about a real person. When you watched Randy Pauch’s video you understood the metaphor of the brick wall and of Tigger and of Eeyore. If I had written “You hit the nail on the head” or just “You nailed it” in response to the six students who clearly understood and identified the metaphor, I am certain that they would have understood my metaphor. And probably all of you would have done so as well.

As part of my attempt to determine why you missed the metaphor, I discussed the question with a visiting friend (who happens to be an author of 14 books), my staff, and other members of the faculty. Here are some possible explanations:

Well, perhaps it was because you take this class and your assignments too seriously. Maybe I have scared you so much that you have lost your sense of humor. I hope not. Just this morning I closed a conversation with a student and before either of us had hung up I heard her say to a companion “He [meaning me] is so funny." Her sense of humor is intact.

Maybe because the metaphor was the basis for a longer post which had a number of messages contained in it. You deciphered those messages (anti-testing; anti-administrative interference in the process of teaching; focus on solutions not problems). But you did not (apparently) understand the larger metaphor despite the many clues that surrounded you. If I described a person as having a glass which is always half-empty you would probably understand I am talking about the person who focuses on problems. That that person is an Eeyore. If, instead, I had described someone as always regarding his glass as half-full you would have understood that the person was a Tigger type; a solution oriented person.

These are guesses We really cannot answer the question of "why not?". Why do you think you missed the metaphor? Even though we do not know why you missed the metaphor (if you did), we can try and develop a set of activities that will increase the likelihood that you will spot a metaphor the next time you encounter one.

Learning How to Spot Metaphors

Dr. Baggett pointed out to me that Daniel Pink addressed this issue in his book A Whole New Mind (pp. 138-140). Pink suggests that you keep a log of the metaphors you encounter for a week (p. 152). They may in things you read, comments made to you, movies you watch, or podcasts you listen to. Jot them down in a notebook, or on your iPhone or iPad. Note the context in which they were used. Here are some examples you may encounter: angel hair pasta; my cup runneth over; will the Easter Bunny leave you anything?; I took a trip with Alice to Wonderland; Puff the Magic Dragon; I could see the thunderstorm building within him; her smile melted my heart; she’s so sweet; I abhor burp back education; I’d kill for two free tickets to see Lady Gaga; I encountered my brick wall when I missed the metaphor but I will get over it; my car is a dream; she is the light of my life; the storks were busy this weekend and the University Hospital reports that Mobile’s population grew by leaps and bounds; he is a chicken. My guess is that all of you understand all of these metaphors and that you do so instantly. So we return to an earlier question of mine: why did you not get the point of the post of Tom Johnson? (Notice the intended pun in “point”?) Think about that.

Why Use Metaphors?

In the Fall semester Jennifer Inscore wrote "What is with the metaphor? Why not say exactly what you are trying to discuss? Why not put it into words that we all understand instead of a metaphor. If we are to be educators we should be able to speak to our students in a way that they all understand." I responded with this post: Jennifer Asked: Why Use Metaphors? Here Is My Answer . My post last semester is my first attempt to answer the question Why Do We Use Metaphors? Daniel Pink says that when you discover metaphors your world will become “richer and more vivid” and that you will be inspired “to create your own metaphors in writing, thought, or other parts of your life.” (p. 152) What do you think?

You might even do a bit of research to see what others say. But more importantly, I want your answers, not mine. I want you to think about why we use metaphors.

Special Assignment

In this post I have asked you to think about several questions:

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
4. Why do we use metaphors?

Instead of Blog Post #14, answer these four questions as best you can. I hope to Skype Mr. Spencer and discuss metaphors with him. If that happens I will post a link to the conversation on the Class Blog. You will need to watch it to address the questions listed above.

Blog Post #14, which is replaced by this Special Assignment, is due Sunday May 1.

Comments on This Post

In the comment that you received on your blog post about Tom Johnson’s post I may have asked you to leave a comment here. That would be great, especially if you have anything to offer on why you missed the metaphor. But it is not a requirement. The Special Assignment specified in this post will suffice.

34 comments:

  1. Hey Dr. Strange! I'll be in the lab tomorrow, want to talk metaphors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get to the lab, but I'm all ears on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm as swamped as a turtle under a log in homework assignments. If I was as free as a bird, I'd love to stop by the lab and gossip about metaphors like old ladies at the hair salon. The best that I can do is watch this blog like a hawk in a nest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love metaphors! The one mentioned in the assignment for this week (blog post #10) was superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the use of metaphors in this post ("Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home") is an excellent example of how to introduce a new point of view to someone who is unwilling to hear one's point in a direct way. I also think it is a great way to teach through story telling. I know that some of my best lessons have been learned through metaphors and parables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe I myself just took what he said to literally. I didn't even think of the possibilty that it could be a metaphor. I use metaphors all the time just did not catch this one. It does make a lot more since now that I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Miranda. I too took the post too literally. I thought it sounded strange for someone not to let children take pencils home....but you never know I guess. Now that you have pointed it out, not only do I feel like a complete blonde, but sure makes that post make more sense! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thats all I can say. I love metaphors and I missed it completely...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I totally missed this metaphor! Thanks for the second chance to redo this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally missed this one. I believe I missed it for several reasons. One, I took the post very literal. Two, I do not use metaphors in my daily life. I am a man of few words and generally say what I mean. Three,I am not a very imaginative person. I do not think a lot outside "the box". I am sure there are other reasons I missed it, but these are the main ones. I hope I catch the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No "pulling the wool over my eyes!" Perhaps I just needed to "stain the water clear" and elaborate a little more.

    Check out the comments on my blog at http://lloydamandaedm310.blogspot.com/

    Thanks,

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unfortunately, I missed the metaphor. I guess I took the message too literally. Now that I know the pencil represents the computer, the post gives me totally new perspective. I have to admit that I was somewhat bewildered why teachers wouldn't want their students to "take the pencils home".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe I might have just taken what he had said literally. I'm not exactly someone who can pick up on metaphors very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The more I think about it the more I like this special assignment. It really has made me consider my thought processes and consider how I understand things. I didn't consciously think "What are the reasons that I know this is a metaphor?" while I was reading the post. Reflecting on how we know things that are obvious to us seems like a good skill to work on if we're going to be explaining abstract ideas to our students.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In my blog assignment, I did say that I didn't understand the post. But, I will look at this special assignment as a learning experience. I do take my school work seriously, but that is just my nature. However, I do still have my sense of humor. Otherwise, I would have been committed to Searcy Hospital by now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my blog assignement about Tom Johnson's post I didn't know that it was a metaphor, but now that you explained it in great detail I get it. :) I just took what he said as face vaule and didn't think other wise. I take things seriously and don't use metaphors in my conversations. I think they are fun and quite useful though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't take this post to literally but I think I did over think it quite a bit. I thought he was addressing a much deeper subject than technology. I will admit, I felt extremely silly when I realized what he was actually talking about and rereading the post! Thanks for clearing it up for us because this one wasn't as straight forward as the glass being half full or empty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes I am another one that missed that this was a metaphor. I think I was just taking the story to seriously and literal. I went back and read the post again and I definitely noticed the metaphor. I have already started to make my metaphor list. Thanks for pointing out that I missed the point to the assignment. I hope to redeem myself with the special assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I now feel really silly that I did not catch that this was a metaphor. I believe I just took what was being said to close to heart and to seriously. Now that I have been told and read over the assignment again it is all so clear. I do not personally use many metaphors in my daily routine I do find them fun and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I missed the metaphor...
    I don't even think there were any context clues to suggest it was a metaphor...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too, took it at face value. I thought he meant literally. I didn't catch the metaphor either. Now that you explained it on the class blog, it makes much more sense! I can't believe I didn't catch that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I just took it to seriously. I thought they were talking about actual pencils. I will now understand better how to catch metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You know, now that I understand Mr. Spencer's idea, it makes much more sense. I honestly don't know why I completely missed that. Normally I pick up on those things quite easily, but I must be completely honest and admit that I missed it entirely. Maybe I was thinking in a very literal state of mind or disregarded the subtle hints that would have given it away. Now that I understand it brings a whole new meaning to the posts in his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with you, Miles! Normally I am always trying to read between the lines or discern deeper meaning, but somehow I missed the metaphor. It just reminded me to look more closely at our blog assignments! If you get in a hurry or get burn out or stop caring as much, you can easily miss some important, helpful, or just amazing things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read the original article and then the second time I read it, I replaced "pencil" with "computer", and the article took on a whole new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a sucker for perfection! I feel that I was looking too much into the assignment, and as you suggested I went back through and replaced the words and haha I GET IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I caught it, but only because I saw this on last semester's blog before our first day of class.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love metaphors too, but I totally misunderstood this one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I missed it.. Cause I do take you too seriously. But i got you now, like white on rice!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It was interesting that once I replaced the word "pencil" with "computers" it made much more since, but I knew it was probably computers since this class is about technology. In my opinion I thought about the post more than analyzing and not following my instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I definitely see the metaphor now looking back and I guess I was just taking what I read too literal.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! I had no idea it was a metaphor. I use metaphors a lot. I was wondering why those kids couldn't take pencils home. That assignment was very puzzling but I'm glad you cleared that up. It makes a lot of sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  33. When I first read the metaphor, I have no idea what it is about. All I thought was that Mr. Spencer were talking about the actual pencil itself which I was more confused about why would he talk about "pencils" interfering students' learning environment. Now, that I have to do the special assignment I am completely aware of what he was talking about. I actually glad that I understand it and looking forward to read more of Mr. Spencer blog.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Unfortunately, I missed the metaphor. I think that I took the blog post a little too literally. Now I know that the pencil represented the computer.

    ReplyDelete