Visit The EDM310 Alumni Blog Amazing! An Alumni Blog! Thanks to Jackie Gorski and all of her co-authors!

Monday, May 27, 2013

Welcome to the Summer 2013 EDM310

Chagall window, Chicago Institute of Art

Welcome!

I have thoroughly revised EDM310 for the Summer 2013 term. It should be considered an experimental semester. Here are the major things that I have changed:
1. I no longer spend time trying to convince students that they will have to use technology in their classroom. There are two reasons for this. First, fewer and fewer students are unwilling to admit that technology will play a significant role in their classrooms. Second, Mobile and Baldwin counties, especially Baldwin County, are expanding the use of technology in their classrooms.The word is getting around that technology will be part of all teachers classroom lives.
2. I am now going to emphasize the use of the Alabama College and Career Ready Standards (the Common Core) since all schools in Alabama are now required to implement the ACCRS in Math and Science and English Language Arts (the rest of the curriculum) beginning in the fall 2013 term.
3. I am going to emphasize the use of Project Based Learning. I have been a user of PBL since my second year of teaching (1966-67). EDM310 has always been a Project Based Course but I am requiring students to prepare to teach that way themselves.
4. I will model the PBL methods being implemented in Baldwin County in all EDM310 mandatory classes. I will Ask Questions rather than Tell Answers.
5. I have added a digital "text book" on Project Based Learning.
6. I have added 3 projects that involve the creation of project based learning activities using technology as tools in those projects.
7. I have created more collaborative work assignments for students.

Since EDM310 has undergone a major revision, the Syllabus, Blog Instruction Manual, and Projects Instruction manual will go through many iterations this semester. Be alert. Watch for revisions. In fact, a few sections of the Project and Blog Assignment Manuals are still being prepared.

I love experiments. I hope you like them too!

The current versions of the class materials are now available through the links to the right under Essential Materials for Students and Visitors. New versions will appear frequently this summer. Watch for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment