Visit The EDM310 Alumni Blog Amazing! An Alumni Blog! Thanks to Jackie Gorski and all of her co-authors!

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Blog Post #10


Many of you failed to understand all or most of the messages contained in the assignments for Blog Post #10. Here is a general comment for all of you:

The first part of the assignment was to explain the cartoon. Papermate is a metaphor for a PC. Ticonderoga is a metaphor for a Mac. The cartoon characters resemble the stars of the long series of Apple ads (66 over 4 years) starring John Hodgman as PC and Justin Long as Mac.

2. The second part of the assignment was to read the post Why Were Your Kids Playing Games? , read at least one other post, create a link to in on your post, write a quality post about the two posts you read. Mr. Spencer uses satire and metaphors to deliver this message: the principal wants Mr. Spencer to use "drill and memorize" activities instead of projects or other learning approaches. All to pass the tests.

You were to select another post and comment on it.

3. The third part of the assignment was to read the post Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? and some comments by previous students and then to discuss your position on the arguments made by Dr. McLeod.

The satiric message of Mr. McLeod which is that you can try to keep your kids away from technology which is fine with me. Mine will use it and speed past your kids in skills, abilities and rewards.

In addition you were to send Tweets to Mr. Spencer and Dr. McLeod.

Evaluate your performance on this assignment yourself.

3 comments:

  1. I had a couple of people ask me if I got the cartoon. I found a YouTube Video that combined a majority of the Apple Ads. It's posted in my Blog Post #10...if anyone would like to look. Another great blog post by Mr. Spencer was The Con Academy. I think I have also pointed out several times how poignant Mr. Spencer's Living Facebook Project was for me - I would love to figure out how to do that in a class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linday I did the same!! Different YouTube video but same commercials. I remember watching those commercials when I had the time to watch television lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I cannot believe I did not catch the metaphor pointing toward the PC and the Mac! After reading this post Dr. Strange has wrote and going back and reanalyzing the cartoon illustration, it is obvious what the author is trying to convey in his picture. Very unique illustration.

    ReplyDelete