Sunday, July 27, 2014
This is the EDM310 Class Blog. You will need to review it daily. It is our communication "hub."
The Syllabus and other materials will be posted (links to the right) no later than Monday August 18. They will probably be available earlier than that. Keep looking.
Read the email and follow the instructions in it.
1. Sign up for a gmail account and let firstname.lastname@example.org know what that email address is. We will ONLY use your Gmail address in EDM310
2. Bring your portable computer to class. If you do not have one we VERY STRONGLY recommend that you get a Mac. ALL teachers in Baldwin County use Macs and about 33% of teachers in Mobile County use them. That means that about 60% of all teachers in Mobile and Baldwin Counties use Macs. You will discover in EDM310 why we feel Macs are your best choice by a wide margin. You can contact me by email for further elaboration.
3. There will be NO computers in the classroom we will use this fall and you will need one for every class, including the first one.
4. Contact us with questions. Contact addresses are in the email I sent to your university jag mail account.
We will see you soon!
John Strange and the EDM310 staff
Posted by John Hadley Strange at 5:45 PM
Thursday, July 10, 2014
1. You must have registered for Foliotek unless you are exempt. You must access Foliotek through USA ONLINE, not directly on the web. The following are exempt from using Foliotek: a) those seeking only recertification or license renewal; 2) students who are not seeking candidacy status; students who are not Education majors. Foliotek costs $ 35 for one year. NOTE: Several students who are in their first semester at USA report they are not being charged for Foliotek. If this happens to you notify me or a lab assistant.
To register and pay for Foliotek follow these instructions:
a. When using Foliotek use Chrome or Explorer browsers ONLY.
b.Go to the USA Online Login page.
b. Login. Your User ID is your J number. Your password is the last 4 digits of your social security number.
c. Click on Sakai. Then click on a class which requires the use of Foliotek. Then click Foliotek in the left column. If you have not established a Foliotek account, do so. You will have to pay by credit card. After all information has been entered you will have to Accept the Foliotek rules, etc.
2. Once you have registered and paid for Foliotek and Accepted the Foliotek rules, etc. you will be able to post to Foliotek.
Think of Foliotek as a storage device in the sky where you will store evidence of your accomplishments in the College of Education. Every course you take in the COE has state established standards which you must meet. You must store the evidence used to determine whether or not you have met these standards in Foliotek where anyone desiring to can see that evidence. Your instructors will provide detailed instructions of what evidence must be submitted for what standards. You then place electronic copies of that evidence in Foliotek.
In EDM310 all of your evidence for all of the standards associated with EDM310 is in your blog and the EDM310 Class Blog. Therefore your blog and the Class Blog are what "go" into Foliotek. Since your evidence consists entirely of blogs we only have to provide Foliotek with links - links to your blog and the Class Blog. Therefore completing the Foliotek requirements for EDM310 is quick and easy.
You will need:
1. A list of the standards associated with EDM310. They are:
Literacy: Oral and Written Communications (3)(c) 1.(iii)
Literacy: Technology (3)(c) 4.(i)
Literacy: Technology (3)(c) 4.(ii)
Literacy: Technology (3)(c) 4.(vi)
Professionalism: Ethics (5)(c) 5.(ii)
Professionalism: Ethics (5)(c) 5.(iv)
For Elementary Majors ONLY: General Special Education: 290-3-3-.34 (2)(g)2.(iii)
Note that the standards are grouped into Literacy, Professionalism and Teaching K-6(for General Special Education). (There are other groups.) Also note that there is one small letter i (or two or three of them) at the end of the numbering system. These are VERY IMPORTANT. Be sure you pay attention to them!
2. You will need the URL to your blog and the URL for the Class Blog ( http://edm310.blogspot.com )
3. Then follow the instructions in Foliotek Instructions.
4. After you have completed Foliotek, your entries must be checked in person by one of the EDM310 staff members. This is an ABSOLUTE requirement and it must be done in class before 4 pm Wednesday April 30, 2014. If one of us does not sign off on your Foliotek entries in person you will get an I in the course. And if you do not complete Foliotek (which is a GREAT hassle for you and an even greater hassle for Dr. Strange) no later than Thursday June 26, 2014 your I will become an F no matter what you would have gotten in the course.
Posted by John Hadley Strange at 10:36 AM
Monday, July 7, 2014
Tuesday, July 1, 2014
I don't know if you have downloaded Tweet Deck. Tweet Deck is very is to download and your Deck will have 4 columns that you can move around. To add another column you search the hashtag you want and hit add column. This is how you can watch several feeds at once.
This is the hashtag people not at iste are using:
Also, a new app or download is Want
an AMAZING app to learn Twitter Download "TweechMe"
The Grand Father of Twitter Chats is Tom Whitby. He is now retired.
In this video he discusses being a "Connected Educators".
Another instrumental educator and backbone of Twitter Chats is Jerry
He is also retired, but on Twitter constantly encouraging and teaching. Visit his website: Cybrary Man's Educational Web Sites
Twitter is how educators are learning in this transformational point in
~ Connect & share, then tell us how you did it !
Michele Pierce Bennett
Gulf Shores Elementary Library
Learning in the Library Blog
Posted by John Hadley Strange at 12:06 PM
To check the ALT tag modifier. Go to the W.A.V.E. (Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool) site. Enter the URL for the blog to be checked. A green tag by an image indicates that the ALT tag was properly done. A yellow tag indicates a problem with the tag. A red tag indicates that the tag was not done.
Correct all problems that exist on your blog.
Posted by John Hadley Strange at 11:56 AM